The IRS has issued a bulletin titled: "Be Alert to Scammers Who Pose as the IRS
Scammers pretending to be from the IRS continue to target taxpayers. These scams take many different forms. Among the most common are phone calls and fake emails. Thieves use the IRS name, logo or a fake website to try and steal money from taxpayers. Identity theft can also happen with such scams.
Taxpayers need to be cautious of phone calls or automated messages from scammers who claim to be from the IRS. These criminals often say the taxpayer owes money. They also demand immediate payment. Scammers also lie to taxpayers and say they are due a refund. They do this to lure their victims into giving their bank account information over the phone. The IRS warns taxpayers not to fall for these scams.
Below are tips that will help avoid becoming a victim:
The IRS will NOT:
- Call to demand immediate payment using specific payment method such as a prepaid debit card, gift card or wire transfer. Generally, the IRS first mails a bill to taxpayers who owe taxes. If the IRS assigns a case to a Private Debt Collector (PCA), both the IRS and the authorized collection agency send a letter to the taxpayer. Payment is always to the United States Treasury.
- Threaten to immediately bring in local police or other law-enforcement groups to have the taxpayer arrested for not paying.
- Demand payment of taxes without giving the taxpayer the opportunity to question or appeal the amount owed.
- Ask for credit or debit card numbers over the phone.
If a taxpayer does not owe any tax, they should:
- Contact the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration.
- Report the incident to the Federal Trade Commission. Use the “FTC Complaint Assistant” on FTC.gov. Please add "IRS Telephone Scam" to the comments of your report.
If a taxpayer is not sure whether they owe any tax, they can view their tax account information on IRS.gov to find out.
Taxpayers should also watch out for emails and websites looking to steal personal information. An IRS phishing scam is an unsolicited, bogus email that claims to come from the IRS.
The entire article will be found in the "Other Topics" column or by clicking here: Other Topics.
H/AREA Board Member Kundan Patel continues to update The President's Report column. The column can be found in the right hand column or by clicking here: President's Report.
H/AREA Board Member Jim Stevenson supplies the current Money Matters column written by Jim Terwilliger. The column can be found in the right hand column or by clicking here: Money Matters. Jim also offers cartoons and captions. The column can be found in the right hand column or by clicking here: Cartoons .
H/AREA Board Member Kundan Patel continues to update the column called Honeywell Financials. The column can be found in the right hand column or by clicking here: Honeywell Financials.
H/AREA Board Member Otto Frank continues to update the column called Did You Know. The column can be found in the right hand column or by clicking here: Did You Know.
Keep up on the latest news releases and articles on Honeywell and its employees by clicking here: Honeywell in the News.
* * * * *
The Home Page has been set up as a path or link to information. By double clicking the mouse on any underlined item, you will be transferred to another page containing additional information.
* * * * *
We're adding more names to our Internet Directory Listing. Click on Directory to see Who's Who. You will need a User ID and Password to enter the Directory. The User ID and Password are published in the H/AREA Newsletter, print edition. If you are a Honeywell or AlliedSignal or affiliated retiree, click on Directory Application to add your name to the directory.
* * * * * * * *
Changes for the month of September are in Navy. We hope that this will help you to spot changes to the page.
Tell us what you think of the H/AREA Home Page by clicking here: Comments. We'd love to hear from you.
This home page is for all Honeywell, AlliedSignal, Bendix Corporation, and Signal Company retirees, their friends and associates.
If you have any items or sites that you think should be included and would be useful or of interest to H/AREA members please let us know. Your comments are valued.
We wish to thank Tony Abbate, Wayne Anderson, Reed Belden, Jack Belles, Stuart Bollen, Bill Ficken, Otto Frank, Jim Himich, Aaron Jackson, Ted Largman, Larry Loeffler, Paul Makus, Chuck Mathias, Maurice Monti, Erwin Naumann, Irwin Norman, Samy Palanisamy, Marty Paskoff, Kundan Patel, John Robertson, Les Schlanger, Paul Shellenberger, George Siegel, Jim Stevenson, Fred Vodde,and Steve Wolfson for their important contributions.
Perry L. Anderson
James S. Himich, Jr.
Perry L. Anderson
- Written by H/AREA
- Compiled for H/AREA
by Maurice Monti
- Written by H/AREA Member
- Honeywell International's
website for retirees
- Discount Program for
- Written by H/AREA Member
- economics; general business; income taxes; investments; internet shopping; comparison shopping; cameras, computers & electronics; department & specialty stores; freebees; vintage recordings; tour companies; museums, PAC & theaters; stamps & coins; airlines; real estate; business advice; Photo-Share; OnLine Matches
- Viruses, Protection, Spam, "Never" Rules, Cookies, The List, Linux, Programming, Security, Search Engines, Hardware,
Evolving Technology, Technical Support, Training, Miscellaneous
- Medical Opinions; General Medical; Merck Manuals; NJ Medical; NY Medical; Find Doctors & Hospitals; Sr. Medical; Travel Medicine; Personal Trainers; Cancer; Contagious & Infectious Diseases; Heart; Urology; Flu; Allergy; Arthritis; Eye; Drugs & Medicine; Miscellaneous Health URLs; Medicare, Medicaid, HMO, Medigap; Medical Schools; Cybershrinks; Self-Help; Acupuncture; Holistic Health Care; Quacks; Telephone/Web Sources; Importance of Sleep; NE & Mid Atlantic Medical; Diabetes; Depression; Drug Rehab; RSD Treatment; Patient Health Care Decisions
- Magazines, Newspapers, References, Cartoons/Humor, Sports News
Active.com, Becoming Human, Best Dog, Books, bored.com, BrainPop, Classmates, The Complaint Station, Crafts, Cross Country Ski Assoc., Commentary, Free Courses, Digital TV (DTV) Transition, Do-It-Yourself Projects, Holidays, EarthCam, Electoral College, Encarta Encyclodpedia, Financial Organization, Food, Games, Gardening, Genealogy, Global Warming, HomeSpot, iKnowthat, Inquiry.net, Internet Archive, Jotti, Merriam-Webster, Meetings.io, Mint, Movies; NJ Transit, Nextdoor, No Thanks to Catalogs, Olympic Games, Pixlr, Photo Secrets, Quality Stuffed Animals, RepairClinic, Santa's secret Village, Scams, SeniorArk.com, Sightseer's Guide to Engineering, Songza, Spoonful, Swizzle, TaskRabbit, TV Shows, Toys for Tots, Tunein, Unclaimed Money, Vocabulary, What's That Bug?, What Was There?, WhichBooks, Yelp
- Honeywell Retiree Service Center, help in NJ and NY
- food & barbecuing, garden railways, bridge, pets, astronomy
- security, country home pages, cruises, foreign currencies, hotels, maps, airlines, timeshares, travel agents, travel planning, weather, rail travel, misc. travel info, airborne adventures
Obituaries of Honeywell employees
- H/AREA Volunteers, Canal Society of NJ, EPA Volunteering, The Prometheus Program, Honeywell Retiree Volunteer Program
- Ben's Guide, CIA, Commerce, Consumer Info, Consumer Protection,EPA, FBI, Federal Trade, Federal Statistics, FirstGov; Food & Drug, House, IRS, Library of Congress, NASA, NSA, NJ State Court System, Patent Office, Postal Service, Public Debt, SEC, Senate, Social Security, Supreme Court, USA.gov, White House
- State & Territorial Governments, U.S. Territories & Outlying Areas, State & Local Resources