The Rules Are Now Changing Again

Posted May 2009

In January 2007, the U.S. Government began requiring a passport to fly back to the U.S.A from countries like Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Caribbean.
As of January 2008, it would no longer accept an oral declaration of citzenship at any land/sea checkpoint.
Click on the Website listed below to View the present Border Crossing Rules.

DHS Travel -Xing Borders

Starting June 1, 2009:

  1. Air Travel from any Foreign Country: A Passport is required..
  2. Arrival by Land or Sea from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and Caribbean: There are choices.
    1. A U.S. Passport
    2. A U.S. Passport Card (A New, Limited-Use type of ID that was issued in Yr 2008. It is only valid for travel by land and sea)
    3. The Enhanced Driver’s License -EDL ( Some States now offer these.)
    4. There is the ‘ Trusted Traveler’ Card - NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST - For Frequent Border Crossers.
  3. There are Exceptions.
    1. U.S. and Canadian children that are younger than 16, will need only their Birth Certificate as proof of citizenship .
    2. Passengers that use a cruise ship that make a round trip from a U.S. port may need only a birth certification and a government issued ID ( Driver’s License with Photo).
      However,If the traveler is visiting foreign countries on this cruise, a passport is a virtual necessity. (And Possibly a Visa.)
  4. How to Get a Passport.
    1. Via the Internet. Go to the U.S. State Dept. Website ( See Below) and obtain the necessary forms. Fill it in and mail.
      This may take 3-4 weeks to process your application.
    2. The U.S. Post Office will have forms.
    3. Your County Courthouse: Passport Information – County Clerk.
    4. The Costs for the Above Applications.
      1. Passport Costs: $100 for Adults: $85 for children under 16 yrs.
      2. Passport Renewal are less costly.
    5. A Passport Agency. Use this source if “Time is of the Essence” and You must Travel within two weeks.
      Where a Visa is required to enter a foreign country,it may require a longer time to process this type of request.
      Make sure You understand the time constraints of your request and the cost if You go this route.

    Websites to Visit for Supplemental Information.

    1. Passport Rules: Goto The U.S. Customs & Border Protection site @:

      U.S. C & B Protection

    2. Passport Information: Goto U.S. State Dept.Website @:


      Click on : Passports for U.S. Citizens

    Comments, Corrections and/or Suggestions are invited and always welcome.